Sig Hutchinson has been working to make communities healthy and livable for more than two decades. Starting with a career with the Dale Carnegie organization, Sig became an instructor for the Dale Carnegie Sales Course for more than eight years before starting his own company to concentrate on sales consulting and professional speaking.
Later, Sig used his knowledge of communication and public speaking to help transform his community by leading six bond initiatives in Wake County and the City of Raleigh totaling $280 million for open space preservation, parks, greenways, transportation and affordable housing. Sig continues to be active in North Carolina where he sits on numerous boards and most recently ran for the NC State Senate.
Board activities include Prevention Partners; NC Alliance for Health; Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Commission for the City of Raleigh and former chair of Triangle Transit. Sig also chairs the Open Space & Parks Advisory Committee for Wake County and Board Chair for Advocates for Health in Action. He has also been a driving force behind the creation of more than 180 miles of interconnected greenways as former President of the Triangle Greenways Council.
Sig has been honored as “Tarheel of the Week” by the News & Observer, “Volunteer of the Year” by Wake County, “Green Advocate of the Year,” by the Triangle Business Journal, “Top 50 Entrepreneurs in the Triangle,” by Business Leader Magazine, a “Goodmon Award” by Leadership Triangle, the “Citizen’s Award” by the NC Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects, “Leadership Award” by WakeUP Wake County and the A.E. Finley Distinguished Service Award by the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce.
Sig continues his sales consulting and professional speaking career as President of Sig Hutchinson Communications. He has a B.A. from Texas Tech University; M.Ed. from the University of South Carolina and lives near a greenway in Raleigh, NC with his wife of 32 years Nancy and they have a son who is married and three grandchildren.
In February 2014, Sig Hutchinson announced his candidacy for the 2014 Wake County Commission.
- Permanently protected more than 5,700 acres in Wake County
- Successfully led six Wake County and City of Raleigh bond referendums totaling more than $280 million
- Driving force behind the creation of more than 180 miles of interconnected greenways throughout the Triangle
- Chair, Open Space & Parks Advisory Committee, Wake County
- Chair, Advocates for Health in Action – YMCA
- Commissioner, Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Commission, City of Raleigh
- Fmr. Chair, Triangle Transit
- Fmr. Vice Chair, Triangle Land Conservancy
- Fmr. President, Triangle Greenways Council
- Board Member, NC Prevention Partners
- A.E. Finley Distinguished Service Award – Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- Tarheel of the Week – The News & Observer
- Volunteer of the Year – Wake County
- Green Advocate of the Year – Triangle Business Journal
- Goodmon Award – Leadership Triangle
- Top 50 Entrepreneurs in the Triangle, 2012 – Triangle Business Journal
- Citizen’s Award – NC Chapter, American Society of Landscape Architects
- Fred Fletcher Award – City of Raleigh