Let’s Keep Protecting our Greenways and Open Spaces.
Sig has helped transform his community by leading six bond initiatives in Wake County and the City of Raleigh totaling $280 million for open space preservation, parks, greenways, transportation and affordable housing. Thanks to the Open Space & Parks Advisory Committee, all Raleigh citizens, as well as those yet to come, can experience greater water and air quality, increased recreational opportunities, and a more beautiful and natural county.
During my tenure as a Wake County Board Commissioner, we have:
- Approved a master plan to add 200 miles of greenways, providing a blueprint for the future buildout of pedestrian and bicycle transportation system countywide
- Purchased more than 2,000 acres of open space to protect the Wake County water supplies
- Formed and led Wake County Water Partnership to bring together all stakeholders to develop a 50-year water policy for Wake County
- Adopted the “One Water” and green infrastructure concepts as official county policy
- Led the way in the state legislature to preserve riparian river buffers under state law – preserving Wake County’s water supplies
- Developed new programs to address well contamination and infrastructure repair in “donut hole” communities
- Funded and opened Robertson’s Millpond Preserve – a historically and environmentally significant blackwater swamp in Eastern Wake County
- Protected Falls Lake Rules from legislative interference through collaborative work with regional partners