Wake County Board of Commissioners
For more than two decades, Wake County Board of Commissioners Chair Sig Hutchinson is known in Wake County for his longtime efforts to preserve open space, expand the greenway system, and make communities healthy and livable. He has served on the Wake County Board of Commissioners since 2014. He is currently the chairman of the commission – a role he also held in 2016. He served as vice chair in 2015.
Hutchinson has successfully led seven bond referendums totaling more than $400 million in Wake County and the City of Raleigh for open space preservation, parks, greenways, transportation and affordable housing.
He has held leadership roles in numerous regional and state boards and associations, including the Triangle Land Conservancy, Advocates for Health in Action and NC Prevention Partners. He currently serves in leadership positions with the Upper Neuse River Basin Association, Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, Live Well Wake, National Association of Counties and GoTriangle.
Among his awards and recognitions, he has been honored as Wake County’s Volunteer of the Year, Triangle Business Journal’s Green Advocate of the Year, Raleigh News & Observer’s Tar Heel of the Week, Raleigh Chamber of Commerce’s A.E. Finley Distinguished Service Award winner and the City of Raleigh’s Fred Fletcher Award recipient.
Hutchinson is the president of Sig Hutchinson Communications. He has a Bachelor of Arts from Texas Tech University and a Master’s in Education from the University of South Carolina. He lives near the greenway in Raleigh with his wife, Nancy. They have one son and three grandchildren.
Learn more about Sig in the “A Chat with Board Vice Chair Sig Hutchinson” article from the Aug. 2020 Inside GoTriangle newsletter.
CURRENT LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
- Chair, Growth & Sustainability Committee
Addressing growth, the environment & quality of life
- Chair, CAMPO
Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Chair, National Association of Counties
Parks, Open Space and Trails committee
- Chair, Upper Neuse River Basin Association
Protecting water quality at Falls Lake
- Co-Chair, Live Well Wake
Improving health & well-being of our citizens
- Vice-Chair, GoTriangle
Triangle’s regional transit authority
HONORS & AWARDS
- Tar Heel of the Week
- Wake County Volunteer of the Year – 2005
- Triangle Business Journal’s “Green Advocate of the Year”
- Business Leader Magazine’s “Top 50 Entrepreneurs in the Triangle”
- Leadership Triangle’s “Goodmon Award”
- NC Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects “Citizen’s Award”
- WakeUP Wake County’s “Leadership Award”
- A.E. Finley Distinguished Service Award by the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- City of Raleigh’s “Fred Fletcher Award”
A LIFETIME OF PUBLIC SERVICE
- Former chair, Advocates for Health in Action
- Former chair, Triangle Transit
- Former chair, Open Space and Parks Advisory Committee
- Former President, Triangle Greenways Council
- Former board member, NC Prevention Partners
- Former board member, NC Alliance for Health